Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Influence of a Sports Potato

as written by the Long-Suffering Potato-Wife.

When I take our daughter to nursery school in the morning, she insists on playing an imagination game and we both have to pretend to be going somewhere in our car. Normally this entails "Going to the Moon" (she loves putting on her spacesuit once we get there) or "Going to China" to see the Panda Bears in the jungle, and chinese dragons flying around the sunrise. Other favourites include a boat or yellow submarine in the ocean - spotting whales with snails on their tails, or mermaids waving at us.
Today, our daughter chose a new topic which caught me a little short. We were "Going to the Football". Okay, I thought...I have no idea what we should be spotting along the way to the football, so let's leave it to her.
We exited the driveway, turned the corner, and proceeded through our village streets - and I asked her what she could see on the way to the football.
"We have to look out for the moose, Mummy" came the little voice from the back seat.
(Explanation - my Sports Potato husband has influenced my 3 year old daughter so much about his one particular sports team that she already associates the team mascot (a Moose) with football already.
"What else will we see going to the football, then?" I called.
"People, Mummy - lots of people going to the the football"
This wasn't going to be a great traveling expedition, I could tell. She wasn't accepting of my proposal that we might need to see some footballs perhaps. In an attempt to distract her, I pointed out a field full of sheep to our left, as we drove into the countryside surrounding the village.
"Look at those sheep" I said.
"Sheep!" she exclaimed, "What are they doing at the football!"
We then had a conversation about how the Moose could get rid of the sheep on the pitch. And very shortly afterwards, drove into the football stadium carpark, and entered (she'd forgotten the need for her ticket for a short while, but magic-ed it up from the car somewhere). On entering the football we climbed up onto the stadium seats, and we took a thick blanket with us also, to keep us warm.
(Explanation - I have none - I have no idea where she picked up the notion from, regarding needing a blanket at football, but it seems like a good one - considering her first real life football experience on Boxing Day of last year involved a small smattering of snow, and a chilling winter wind).
I took the Moose away with me, after dropping her off in her Nursery room. Up close, she's afraid of that football moose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home