Friday, February 10, 2006

Stand Back....

There's a Hurricane coming through. Who would have thought it? Not me obviously. I predicted an Auckland win, but the Hurricanes opened up the inaugural Super 14 competition with a spanking 37-19 win over the Auckland Blues. This was despite the fact that they got off to the usual start and were 3-16 down at halftime. A 30 minute five try blitz helped seal the victory. (Full report is available here)

Now here is the thing - this is where I will get carried away - dreaming of home semi-finals and lifting aloft the trophy in Wellington after humiliating the Crusaders in the final. I don't know why I do this, because as I strongly suspect, they are only building up my hopes to bring me crashing down to earth with a loud thud.

This is the common theme with all my teams - start well, build hopes and then let me down at the final hurdle. Although to be fair with some teams even the building hopes is sometimes a struggle (i.e. Green Bay Packers, Cambridge United and the England football team). Still, I must not grumble. I will dust of the yellow and black scarf, find the Hurricanes fridge magnet and tell anyone who will listen how this is going to be the 'Canes year. I mean it has to be sometime........doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home